Tuesday 23 September 2008

A surprising poem of hope

Perhaps this is in part a response to Mark's post below. It was on Jesus Manifesto (good guys good guys) and was inspired by NT Wright's book Surprised by Hope (I have a spare copy if anyone wants to borrow it?).
The Kingdom of Heaven has captured my heart
the more I feel it’s power take root
the more I yearn for Beauty and Justice

Today, I thought about buying a building
something old, abandoned, ugly
and turning it into a castle for the Kingdom

A sanctuary
stain glass replacing iron bars
a hedge of roses instead of the fence that everyone expects in this neighborhood…

I want to see a sick person get well again
not so they’ll listen to me, or attend my church, or go to heaven
but so they can know, like I know - the kingdom of heaven is near

I want to be a portal to an alternate universe a stitch where the fabrics of heaven and earth are sewn close
I want to write the most beautiful words I can imagine
and paint them on a billboard over ads for beer and cheeseburgers

I want to walk these city streets till all the walls crumble
build porches for all my neighbors
and sit and talk about how great the Kingdom is starting to look.

No comments: