Wednesday 12 November 2008

A Humanist Decalogue


Ronald Fletcher's Humanist 10 Commandments:

1. Never accept authority.
2. Base your conduct on simple, humane principles.
3. Strive to eliminate poverty.
4. Strive to eliminate war.
5. Do not be a snob.
6. In sexual behaviour, use your brains as well as your genitals, and always in that order.
7. Take the care necessary to enjoy family life and marriage.
8. Keep the law.
9. Commit yourself to active citizenship.
10. Have confidence in the modern world and your powers to improve it.

ummm... Any you like? Any you dislike? Any you would add to make your own 10 Commandments for today? What about God? Do we need God?

I like number 6 (of course!). Someone said, "Men were made with two organs: the penis and brain, but only enough blood to control one at a time".

I like numbers 1, 3, 4 and 7.

I don't think number 10 works for me - maybe this is where I really feel the need for God. I have no faith in the modern world, but in a 'mystical' sense of hope that derives from my faith.

There is also nothing here about conflict resolution (i.e. anger) and the injustice that is associated with it. In fact, it is quite individualistic. It is as though other people are not necessary. What about suffering and hardship? Something tells me Fletcher was not from the 3rd world!

No comments: